Author biographies are intended to be short, pithy things that try to convince you that I’d be fun to hang out with for the hours you’ll spend reading the book. At least, that’s my take. But of course, there’s much more to me than that.
In my regular Patreon updates, in addition to updates about my work (and exclusive peeks behind the scenes!) you’ll hear me talking about my real life, which is often messy and fraught. Writing fiction has always been my refuge in addition to a job. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t going to be a list of grievances and constant complaints.
Here’s where I am, and what I’ll probably be talking about:
- Writing: I mean, obviously. I love talking about process and giving writing pointers, so those will be available to patrons at certain tiers and above. But all tiers will receive updates and commentary on what I’m working on.
- Fandom and Pop Culture: I am a hardcore geek and have been my entire life. I mean, my official author bio name-drops Luke Skywalker, love of my life, so there you go. I’ve also been an active participant in several fandoms through the years. (You might, MAYBE, even get access to my fanfic, if I’m feeling brave. 😉 )
- Mental Illness and Disability: This is a biggie. I was diagnosed with depression over twenty years ago, and as time went on, I was diagnosed with more and more things. I suffered from long-term emotional abuse from multiple sources as a child, and it’s left its mark. This past year I’ve been coming to terms with the fact that my mental illness(es) are in fact much more debilitating than I ever realized. (Either that, or they’ve gotten worse. My therapist says the former, I often feel it’s the latter.) I’ll be writing about what it’s like to cope with depression, anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD.
- Fat Acceptance/Activism: I am fat. I have been fat most of my life. You are not going to see comments about me dieting or trying to lose weight. I do, however, often talk about the ways I’ve learned to love and accept myself, and will be highlighting some of the stigma and discrimination that I and other fat people deal with daily.
- Whatever else comes to mind! I’m a bit of a magpie (see above, ADHD), so you’ll likely wind up with my thoughts on politics, British literature, who knows!
In short, I intend for Patreon to be a place not just where I share my work with you, but where I share more of who I am, about the challenges I face, the victories I win; the things that make me happy, the things that make me angry. And ultimately, along the way, I hope to entertain and inform you.